Friday, July 15, 2011

Who is the real problem?

As I sit and wait with the rest of the many NFL fans to see what will come of this lock out I really began to wonder, what is the cause of all this?  I don't mean the actual cause of this particular lock out, but who is responsible for money being so important in pro sports?  I know, this sounds stupid to think about, almost idiotic if you will, but I remember a time when athletes played sports for the love of the game, not the fame.

I look at this from a couple perspectives.  First and most obvious you have sponsorship, which plays probably the largest role in the importance of money in almost anything these days.  Sure you can get a signing bonus, or paid a ridiculous amount of money to play for a professional sports team, but what everyone is really waiting for is a endorsement by Pepsi, or Nike, or Sketchers (Danny Woodhead, and Sketchers... really?)
There is also the variable of how incredibly obsessed people have become with sports.  Now let me clarify I am not bashing anyone who is in love with sports, because truth be told I am guilty as charged.  But lets look at this from a influence perspective.  There are more people that watch sports than a lot of other things, and most of all there are more people that spend money on sports than a lot of other things.  The price of a ticket to go to a NBA, MLB, or NFL game is astronomical, especially when you think of the price of buying a beer, or hot dog when you get there.  I can count at least five people I know that do not have health insurance, and would rather pay to have ESPN on in their house than be able to go to a hospital and not pay an arm and a leg.  Of course these players are getting paid stupid amounts of money to play sports, why wouldn't you pay someone that amount when you have millions of people addicted to an all around expensive hobby, passion or whatever you want to call it.  There are millions of people who could give a rat's yee-hoo about what is going on in our government, because it's football season (again I am one of these people.)  Is this sad, is this wrong?  I guess it depends who you talk to, but it is undeniable that it is ironic.

This is something I honestly have not fully wrapped my head around, and just thinking about the fact that this lock out is soon to be over gets me more excited than a 5th grader who just popped his 1st boner.  But I really do think about the real problem, and if there ever will be another time when players play sports for the love, not the skrilla  Furthermore, who is responsible for all of this?  Is it a problem?  Is it just something we accept?  All questions I wish I could answer, but in reality... who knows?

No comments:

Post a Comment